Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cabin Destroyed By Fire

DSC_5195The cabin was nestled in the big oak trees along the west bank of a lake about a half mile off of Old Alabama Road. It had been used for years by the family of the late Madison New and was still owned by his estate.

It’s seclusion was part of what the family enjoyed.

Sometime over the past 48 hours a fire started and consumed the entire structure without anyone seeing or hearing a thing.

DSC_5194

A family friend that helps keep the grass mowed discovered the smoldering ashes late Tuesday afternoon.

The Thurston and Northside Fire Departments responded to the call but could do nothing more than put out a couple of old railroad ties that were still smoking.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Glad no-one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family owns this property and we all HAD NOT BEEN NOTIFIED when these photos were uploaded. We are just now able to see the damage for ourselves. I lived in Thomaston for a number of years and I understand the small town mentality, but it angers me that this was public before the owners even knew. If I had found out this had happened this way, I would be livid.

    ReplyDelete